Monday, November 19, 2012

Vassal Boardgame Engine

Haven't posted in a couple of weeks thanks to job hunting, sickness, and depression. But a friend turned me on to something which got my gaming juices flowing again: VASSAL.

"Vassal is a game engine for building and playing online adaptations of board games and card games. Play live on the Internet or by email. Vassal runs on all platforms, and is free, open-source software."

With VASSAL you can play live, hotseat, and email turns. And there are a lot of games available to play (called Modules). However, the rules to play are not included. You will have to either own the game or find a copy of the rules somewhere.

I've been itching to play some PBM games lately and VASSAL looks like it might be what I'm looking for. I've played a couple turns of a Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation with one of my friends and the engine seems to work just fine. I'll be able to give a better review on VASSAL once we finish the game.

 You can find it here:
http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

If you are interested, I recommend going through the tour: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Tour

You can download the user manual here:
VASSAL Userguide


Comments from folks who have used or use VASSAL after reading this are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment